Seneca Land District
of the Barbershop Harmony Society
Seneca Land Yahoo Group
There is an email list for the Seneca Land District administered and
moderated by Mike Nichols and Jonathan Foster. The list is offered through
Yahoo Groups. You may wish to read the
To Join (Subscribe)
Send a blank email to <SenecaLand-subscribe[at]yahoogroups[dot]com>
- or -
To Quit (Unsubscribe)
Send a blank email to <SenecaLand-unsubscribe[at]yahoogroups[dot]com>
To Change Your Email Address
First things first: does the Society have your new email address? Take
advantage of the Society's Members Only site
to update your email address. Grab the latest Harmonizer for your "priority
code" to get started. Changing your email address on the Society site does not
change it for the Yahoo Group. Changing it for the Yahoo Group does not change
it for the Society's records. Please do both!
If you still have access to the old address, you can migrate all of your
Yahoo Groups subscriptions by yourself. The first step is to register with Yahoo
Groups so you can log in to the web site. Once that's done, the process is to
associate the new address with your account, verify it, and switch the groups to
use the new address. This is spelled out on this
Groups Help Page.
If you no longer have access to the old address, you will have to ask the
moderator to remove it manually. Send an email to
Recommendations for Effective Use of the Group
These are the opinions of the webmaster, and are not to be taken as
rules. They are recommendations to help your message reach the maximum
- Stay on topic.
- Do not send your message if it is not primarily of interest to
barbershoppers in the Seneca Land District. If there is too much inappropriate
content going through the list, people will unsubscribe from it. This
decreases the audience for all future mailings.
- Use an informative subject header.
- Announce specifics. Which of the following would you find most helpful?
- "fwd: Please read"
- "Townsville Chapter Show"
- "Jun 31: Townsville Chapter Show"
- "Jun 31: Townsville Chapter Show ($10)"
- "Jun 31: Townsville Chapter Show ($10) featuring The Vikings"
- Put the most useful part of the email first.
- Some mail systems chop messages that exceed a certain size. Some people
will delete your message unread if they have to scroll down to get to the
useful part. If you are forwarding an email, remove all headers and mention of
previous recipients when possible.
- Avoid sending attachments.
- There is no attachment format that can be read by 100% of the group's
membership. The closest format to universal is PDF, but that's still won't
work for users of services like WebTV or MailStation. The same goes for word
- If you must send an attachment, include as much of the body text as
possible in the email.
- It may not format as prettily, but chances are good the text is the most
important part of that attachment. Your message will reach more people if you
include the relevant text in the body of the email.
- Links to web pages should have explanations.
- Most people will not click on links unless given sufficient motivation.
Explain what's on the other end. Not all email users are web proficient, and
not all mail systems are web capable, so it's important to include the
relevant text of the web page in your email.
- Further Reading
- Microcontent: How to
Write Headlines, Page Titles, and Subject Lines
SLD Yahoo Group Page.
Copyright © 2008 [Seneca Land District of the
Barbershop Harmony Society]. All rights reserved.